Maxi Safe Services
Maxi Safe owes its success to the team’s extensive experience in the spheres of health and safety, security and legal compliance.
The company owes its success to adherence to legislation and industry standards, being in good standing with and endorsed by the Department of Labour, its in-depth vetting process of staff, rigorous training in the fields of health, safety and security, and monitoring each client’s compliance on a continuous basis.
It is the strict approach to compliance, training and understanding clients’ businesses which ensures that Maxi Safe delivers a fully compliant, professional service every time.
Providing Safety Representatives
- The law requires an employer to have a safety representative on site where 20 or more persons are employed.
- The functions of a safety representative are governed by the Occupational Health & Safety Act, 85 of 1993, together with the Basic Conditions of Employment Act, 75 of 1997, Compensation for Occupational Injuries & Diseases Act, 130 of 1993, National Water Act, 36 of 1998 and the various NEMA, and include:
- Access Control. More particularly, being present at the access and egress gate, and complying with the legal requirements of a safety representative while stationed at the gate – such as following the procedures prescribed for the search of vehicles.
- Perimeter patrols. A safety representative is required to patrol the premises to identify risk factors such as hazards that may have an impact on humans, structure and the environment.
- The safety representative is required to carry out inspections of bulletin boards and signs, floors, stairways and aisles, equipment, buildings, the air handling system, dangerous substances, sanitation, security, lighting, material storage and general areas.
- Emergency Equipment. The safety representative is obliged to routinely inspect the emergency equipment, such as first aid boxes and fire-fighting equipment.
- Fire Risk Assessments & Evacuation Drills. These assessments and drills must be carried out by the safety representative within the time-frames stipulated by law.
- Recording & Reporting Issues. The safety representative is obliged to note and report all potential risks and environmental issues identified from his/or her inspections, patrols, risk assessments and drills.
- Document Storage. The safety representative is required to store all documents prepared by him/or her for presentation at the health and safety meetings.
- Health & Safety Meetings. Attending health and safety meetings chaired by the safety officer is one of the duties of a safety representative.
- A safety representative must accompany inspectors during their visits.
- Maxi Safe safety representatives have attended, sat and passed the Health and Safety Representatives Training course. This enables them to implement practices and procedures to guarantee compliance for and on behalf of the employer.
Providing Safety Officers
- While it is not obligatory, there are widespread benefits to employing the services of a safety officer.
- The functions of a security officer, when carried out correctly, ensure that employers comply with the provisions of the Occupational Health & Safety Act, 85 of 1993, the Basic Conditions of Employment Act, 75 of 1997, Compensation for Occupational Injuries & Diseases Act, 130 of 1993, National Water Act, 36 of 1998 and the various NEMA. The functions include:
- Monitoring work processes and procedures to identify unsafe practices or breach of safety regulations.
- Conducting equipment inspections to ensure that equipment is correctly installed and operational.
- Facilitating and scheduling repairs of unsafe or damaged equipment.
- Organizing safety training to educate company staff on necessary safety principles.
- Developing and implementing safety procedures and policies.
- Conducting investigations into incidents and other unsafe conditions at the workplace.
- Overseeing the placement and setup of safety signs to warn of potential hazards.
- Periodically preparing and presenting to company management on safety operations.
- Collaborating with law enforcement agents and investigations to address cases of workplace accidents.
- Presenting recommendations on safety topics such as proper waste disposal, fire regulations and noise.
- Conducting risk assessments to identify work areas with high risk of operational hazards.
- Overseeing company waste disposal methods to ensure that they comply with safe disposal procedures.
- Reviewing company operational processes to ensure they are in line with external safety legislation.
- Attending occupational safety and health seminars to update job knowledge and enhance skills.
- Maxi Safe safety officers have attended, sat and passed the Safety Officer Training course. This enables them to implement practices and procedures to guarantee compliance for and on behalf of the employer.
Conducting Audits, Preparing Documents
Maxi Safe prides itself on compiling and producing regulatory documentation based on a client’s individual needs. From preparing the obligatory safety file and checklists, to designing the mandatory staff induction presentation on workplace health and safety, we have the know-how and resources to satisfy the obligations imposed on a client.
Supplying Equipment & Materials
Maxi Safe supplies all the equipment and materials necessary to comply with the legal obligations imposed on companies insofar as health, safety and security is concerned.
This includes, but is in no way limited to:
- Personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Detailed checklists for the inspections required by law.
- Signs and notices required to be displayed by law.
- Stationery, such as lever arch files to house the contents of the safety files.
- Consumable stationery for use by the safety representatives and safety officers.
- GPS-enabled personnel monitoring devices to track the movements of safety representatives and safety officers in real-time.
- Biometric clocking systems to record the access to and egress from the business premises by its staff.
- Safety equipment, such as fire extinguishers, first aid kits and carbon dioxide gas.
- Cleaning Materials.
Through its long-standing experience in the fields of health, safety and security, Maxi Safe has built up a network of reliable services providers who render specialist services. Maxi Safe can consequently source and appoint various contractors to meet your legal requirements. These specialist services include the removal and disposal of hazardous waste, deep cleaning, the installation of safety sprinklers, and servicing of fire extinguishers.
Maxi Safe is a registered licensee of NOSA. As a result, it can present various training courses to its staff members to upskill them, as well as to new safety representatives, safety officers and other persons not yet qualified.
Courses on offer include:
- Health & Safety Representatives Training
- Occupational Health & Safety Act Overview
- Risk Assessment – HIRA Training
- First Aid Training
- Basic Fire Fighting
- HIV/AIDS Training